Friday, January 28, 2011

What you should be reading....




If you're looking for some books to really sink your teeth into, try these recommended by my favorite ABD.

She will explain why:
I have no time for fun reading, but with the justification that they are "postcolionial" in nature, I reread Tayeb Salih's Season of Migration to the North and J. M. Coetzee's Waiting for the Barbarians. Both are gripping and chilling in their depictions of the type of deprivation that happens to certain oppressed groups of people and how many people adjust to their roles within these systems - becoming victims or bullies - while others find the strength to rebel, even if just in quiet ways.
Even better, I am rereading Salman Rushdie's Satanic Verses. I understand (again) why he is so acclaimed: layers upon layers of allegory all wrapped up in an intense narrative with characters you care about, roller coaster twists, and a surprising sense of humor.

1 comment:

Susanna Ives said...

These look awesome! I just downloaded Midnight's Children. I haven't read the Satanic Verses, but I enjoyed The Enchantress of Florence. I think I got that title right.